If you live in Montgomery, Alabama and you don’t have a car, you have several options for public transport. Many people opt to take the bus to get to work and school or run errands. This is a safe and efficient way to get around the city. However, not all bus rides go according to plan. Accidents happen and they can result in serious injuries. Fortunately, if you were injured on a public bus, you may be able to recover compensation for your losses. However, you will need to work with a Montgomery, Alabama personal bus accident attorney who will fight on your behalf.
Common Reasons Why Bus Accidents Occur
Driver error is one of the most common causes of bus accidents. However, there are several other reasons why the bus you’re traveling on could become involved in a crash. These include:
- Failure to maintain. Companies that operate buses need to ensure their vehicles can transport passengers safely. If a company doesn’t properly maintain its buses, it could be held liable if their negligence causes an accident.
- Defective parts. Components on a bus can fail unexpectedly and cause a crash. If the brakes, tires or another critical part fails, the maker of the bus or part could be held responsible.
- Driving time violations. Bus drivers are commercial drivers. Therefore, they are limited in the number of hours they can work consecutively in a week. Some drivers and employers falsify records to cover up violations. Howeve, drivers who are fatigued are more likely to fall asleep behind the wheel.
- Road conditions. Adverse weather conditions can lead to accidents, especially if drivers don’t adapt their speed and driving style. If the road is wet or littered with debris, drivers need to exercise increased caution. Poorly designed roads and those which aren’t properly maintained can also create problems.
- Other drivers. Some bus accidents occur because of other road users. Despite the skill of the bus driver, they may not be able to avoid the accident. Some crashes involve multiple vehicles and it can be difficult to assign liability. Hiring a competent Alabama accident lawyer will be extremely important if you want to get compensation.
Injuries Victims Sustain in Bus Crashes
When a bus gets involved in a crash, passengers can suffer serious injuries. These include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Lacerations, burns, and contusions
- Slipped discs
- Spinal cord injuries
Some of these injuries can have lifelong consequences. You may need long-term medical treatment and you may be unable to work while you recover. Getting compensation can help to make it easier to cope. If you get involved in a bus crash, you need to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Not only will this ensure your injuries are diagnosed early, but it will protect your right to recover damages. If you wait too long, the insurance company will question whether you were really injured.
Why You Need an Attorney if You Were Injured on a Public Bus
You may be wondering if you need a lawyer to get compensation for your injuries. You may assume the bus company will reach out to you or that their insurer will willingly pay your claim. Unfortunately, it’s not that simple. As a bus passenger, it’s highly unlikely that the accident was your fault. However, the insurance company will still do everything it can to avoid paying you even if the driver was responsible. That’s simply the way insurers operate.
Another thing to consider is that bus crashes can be extremely complicated. The driver isn’t always at fault. Sometimes, responsibly lies with the company that owns the bus, a maintenance company, government agency or parts manufacturer. Furthermore, serious accidents involving large companies may result in federal investigations. You will need someone who understands state and federal laws to work on your behalf. Otherwise, you may not recover the financial compensation you need and deserve.
When you work with an experienced attorney, they will investigate the accident, gather evidence and identify all possible defendants. Then, they will assist you in filing your claim and negotiating with the insurance company. If necessary, they will file a lawsuit on your behalf. They will also ensure that you take legal action before the statute of limitations runs out.
Contact The Vance Law Firm Today if You Were Injured on a Public Bus
If you suffered injuries in a Montgomery bus crash, you need to act quickly. Contact the experienced vehicular accident attorneys at The Vance Law Firm and let us get started on your case. We offer a free initial consultation and you don’t have to pay until you get compensation for you. You have nothing to lose by booking appointment today.