September 30, 2018

How Do I File a Personal Injury Lawsuit on Behalf of a Child in Montgomery, AL?

When a child is involved in a car accident, it can frighten and scare any parent. As a parent, you are responsible for the care of your child, especially when injuries occur in a car crash. You may have medical bills to pay or property damage to repair after the accident. You may also want to pursue a personal injury lawsuit against a negligent driver. An Alabama personal injury attorney can help.

You have rights as a parent when your child is involved in a car crash. If your child is under the age of 18, you can file a personal injury lawsuit on their behalf. Your child is unable to file a suit on their own. The court will require you to show proof of your relationship, and you must be free of the accident events.

You are responsible for the medical bills your child has incurred. Therefore, you can seek damages in a Montgomery, AL personal injury lawsuit. You also have a right to pain and suffering damages as well as compensation for property damage.

You can file a suit for injuries to your child caused by a negligent driver. However, you cannot seek compensation for property damage in the same suit. Children are unable to own property until they are 18 years old. You will need to file a separate suit to receive a settlement for vehicle repairs or replacement.

Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit

To file a personal injury lawsuit, you will want to speak to a personal Injury lawyer in Montgomery, AL. They can file the suit on behalf of your child with you as the parent. Your Alabama personal injury attorney will help you through the complex filing process and help you understand what to expect.

If a personal injury lawsuit for a child is settled, the compensation is often held until they turn 18. You will receive a settlement for medical expenses. However, pain and suffering and punitive damages may be put into a trust for your child. They will receive the money when they are of age.

If you are a legal guardian of a child, you still have a right to file a personal injury lawsuit. You may have to receive approval from the court, but in most instances, it will proceed. Children are also able to have an appointed guardian of the court to represent them if requested.

Do I Need an Alabama Personal Injury Attorney?

Having an Alabama personal injury attorney on your side is helpful. They will pursue your case and help to determine the settlement your child is entitled to after a car accident.

As a parent, you may have many questions about filing a Montgomery, AL personal injury lawsuit. A lawyer can help. They will guide you through the legal process and ensure you have met all requirements to file a lawsuit. Your personal Injury lawyer in Montgomery, AL, is there to provide legal assistance to you and your child. They will help you get the compensation necessary to cover your expenses.

Your Alabama personal injury attorney will fight to win your case and help you navigate the court. They can advise you of your legal rights as a parent and represent you in court. Going through a personal injury lawsuit on your own is a confusing and complex process. You may feel lost but having a personal Injury lawyer in Montgomery, AL, can help.

You can get compensation for injuries your child sustained after a car accident caused by a negligent driver and you have rights as a parent. Your Alabama personal injury attorney can provide the legal advice you need to file a lawsuit for your child. Let your personal Injury lawyer in Montgomery, AL help you with your case. Your child will be able to recover without worry or stress.

Call a Personal Injury Lawyer in Montgomery, AL

If your child suffers injuries in a car accident, you have a right to file a personal injury lawsuit. The Alabama personal injury attorneys at The Vance Law Firm will help you with your case. They will fight for compensation for your child and ensure you receive the settlement you deserve for their injuries. Contact us to set up a consultation today. We are ready to assist you now.

See Other Frequently Aked Questions >>

    Ready to take the next step?

    Fill the form below and our team will contact you to schedule a free consultation.

    Related Articles

    June 27, 2022
    personal injury
    There are many opportunities for boating enthusiasts to enjoy their hobby in Alabama, from the Mobile Bay and the Gulf of Mexico to the Yellowhammer State’s hundreds of lakes and rivers. However, with so many places to enjoy boating activities, there is also an increased possibility of boating accidents. Like cars and motorbikes, injuries from […]
    View Article
    June 20, 2022
    According to the latest statistics, 82% of Americans own a social media account on at least one of the most popular platforms like Facebook, TikTok, or Twitter. If you are one of the 223 million social media users nationwide, you may feel tempted to update your status following an accident or an injury to reassure […]
    View Article
    June 13, 2022
    Auto Accident
    If you’ve suffered a back injury in a car accident, you may be worried about your ability to resume your normal activities. One study found a causal link between car accidents and nearly 63% of chronic lower back pain in people suffering from the condition. If you suffered a back injury in a car accident […]
    View Article
    The Vance Law Firm